Looking over some of the arts related activities I am involved in.....
- Out of 25 piano students I teach, only 5 are boys.
- In my church's music ministry there is 1 man who participates
- The cello section of the Louisville Youth Orchestra's Repertory Orchestra has no boys
- The dance department at the Youth Performing Arts High School has 3(?) boys, maybe 4, and apx 40 girls
- The McClanahan School of Irish Dance has less than 5 boy dancers (and one is the teacher's son!) - there are no boys in the upper Championship level classes
- When I audition for a community theatre play, there is always 3 or 4 times as many women auditioning as there are men
I know this is merely an anecdotal view of things, but my guess is this is typical no matter where you are. I would love to have some feedback on your experience with keeping boys involved with the arts. Have you found a successful way to keep young men involved in music, drama or dance? If so, please share with me your strategies!